Search This Blog

Friday 19 January 2024

Les Vacances de Monsieur Hulot


You know how the form goes. When I review a film I do so alongside a small reproduction of the movie poster. Today I break from that rule because what I am reviewing is one of those small moments of cinematic perfection. Of course there are great movies of more moment and meaning but I defy you to watch Jacque Tati's masterpiece without getting that warm, fuzzy feeling that the world is not really such a bad place. It has hardly any dialogue and if Tati (writer/director/star) has a cinematic forebear I would suggest Buster Keaton. The movie is small and beautifully put-together and contains a torrent of fabulous physical comedy. I won't spoil it for you by reciting the situations but do make sure you are paying particular attention when Hulot attempts to get his car towed. Brilliant. Big reproduction of the poster. 96/100.

No comments:

Post a Comment