Search This Blog

Monday 9 March 2020

Grumpy Old Man Somewhat Soothed

The definition of insanity is, we are told, doing the same daft things over and over and expecting different results. I mention this because everyday life often serves to remind me of that maxim. Most days I awake and hear the same news and it is the same things that push my buttons over and over again. Donald bloody Trump, natch. Jeremy bloody Corbyn, natch, though that irritant is on its last legs - to be superseded no doubt by the equally, though for different reasons, bothersome Keir Starmer. Litter, bloody litter. It's everywhere. It's shaming. And don't get me started on the bloody Sussexes - I mean, who cares any more? All I will say is that the Queen, God bless her, has played her usual blinder. We'll miss her when she's gone.

And so here's the cheery bit. The obverse of that maxim is that the defintion of sanity could be doing the same healthy things in order to get repeat results. Well this week I have been in Mon with the Groupie, following hard upon three days here last week with Daughter Number 2. The familiar - I have walked twice at Newborough and loved it both times - it is the best beach on the island and the bacon roll from the van on the carpark is unbeatable. DN2 and I also walked at Lligwy (second best beach?) and dined at the Harbour Inn in Cemaes and at the Tavern at Red Bull Bay, the former good, the latter excellent. More of the familiar - Groupie and I have been to Plas Newydd and to Penrhyn Castle for the umpteenth time. Top grade. We have eaten at the Panton Arms (reliably sufficient) and at the Anglesey Arms (a new and commendable find) in Menai Bridge. Savage brow soothed, Cheltenham to come.

When she feels herself compelled to talk about politics I find Emma Thompson insufferably woke, a manifestation of that educated intolerance peculiar to liberals. But that should not detract from this fact - she's the best actress currently at work. I was reminded of this last night when we watched Sense and Sensibility, in which she is terrific and for the screenplay of which she won an Oscar. 8/10. 

The world is presently obsessed with coronavirus. I am not but the bloody thing has hacked some twenty per cent off the value of my pension or more accurately it has been a convenient excuse for the tossers in the City to make the adjustment that was needed to stock valuations.  The games people play. But never mind I have had a 10p each way Lucky 31 on the first five races at Cheltenham tomorrow which will win me £13500 when it comes in. Sorted.   

No comments:

Post a Comment