Search This Blog

Sunday 22 March 2020

Social Distancing

This is what we have to perform if we dare to venture outside - 'social distancing', which means keeping 2 metres away from other human life forms. As for the 'vulnerable' (that's my dear old Mum I suppose) they have to lock themselves away for twelve weeks. The whole ghastly business carries with it an air of unreality. Sooner rather than later the economics of the the thing will sabotage this dream-like scenario and things will turn nasty. It is all the harder to credit when the weather (after three months of seemingly unbroken shite) has turned all nice and Spring-like on us. All the world and its wife has headed for public open space - the Boris has thus far resisted the temptation to close the parks (some municipalities have already done this) but if we don't start behaving ourselves he reserves the right to do so. Some gardening induced stiffness aside (old bones) I feel guiltily healthy. The garden is looking good even if there is more moss than I would like in my precious lawn. The lawn service is coming this week so hopefully it will soon improve, not that coronavirus is going to allow me to show it off to anyone. So it goes.

Slick, concise and underrated - this is how I would summarise Men In Black 2 which the Groupie and I watched last night. Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones are, in their markedly different ways, two of the coolest customers in the cinema firmament and this film deliver laughs at a gattling gun pace and does not take itself too seriously. 7/10.

I have to admit to my shame that the current lack (almost total) of any live televised sport really brings home how much of the stuff I watch. Does this make me a bad person? No, just a rather shallow one. I am not alone.

'You can tell a man who boozes/ By the company he chooses/And the pig got up and slowly walked away.' That lyric pipes up in my mind every time I see Mike Pence standing behind Doanld Trump and taking the buffoon seriously. The difference is of course stark - Pence never does walk away. The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.     

No comments:

Post a Comment