Search This Blog

Monday 15 June 2020

A Not Unsatisfactory Day

Did you like the double negative? It's something David Gower favours in his cricket commentaries and although it can seem a trifle affected I think it's not unacceptable to mimic one's heroes.

The day to which I refer is the immediate past Saturday. I was on the first tee at Pype Hayes at 7.14 to play with BH and my little brother WJR. The weather forecast for the day had been pretty dire but along the lines of the sun shining on the righteous (I accept on reflection that any reference to BH, WJR and the Pig as righteous might be stretching it) it proved perfect golfing weather - not too hot and a gentle breeze to keep it interesting. As it happened I played a tad worse than earlier in the week but not so badly as to prompt despondency. The company was matchless and we got round in a little over three hours without ever having to wait over a shot and without causing anyone behind us to wait - would that it were always so.

After a socially distanced chat with the lads I was back home by half eleven and after a brief interval and a cup of not unimpressive coffee (Kenyan) I was out mowing the lawn with the not unprecious mower. Now here I have to confess an error - I don't know what flitted across my consciousness but I lost my sense of direction and cut an errant stripe. It doesn't look too bad but I, of course, can see it. Oh well it is nice to have goals, so next time I will get it right. The search for lawn perfection keeps me young.

Golf done, lawn mowed, I was soon able to treat myself to a not inelegant glass of 2016 Primitivo. Wine really does taste better if you make yourself wait until the weekend. If, dear reader, you have shares in Majestic Wine you might want to sell them now that the Pig is spending rather less there than had become habitual.


A day such as Saturday deserves to be rounded off by a good film. Well, Pig and the Groupie did not in all truth watch a good film but we did watch the not unentertaining Angel has Fallen. If you have seen either of the previous two entries from this stable, Olympus has Fallen, and London has Fallen, you will not be surprised to learn that the baddies make an attempt on the President's life and it falls to Gerard Butler single-handedly to bring them to account. Silly, violent, profane but not borne down by a sense of its own importance, I like films like this when I'm in the mood. Saturday was such a day. Oh and it has a slight but amusing final scene. 52/100.

So all in all and as I say, not unsatisfactory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment