Search This Blog

Wednesday 23 December 2020

Advent 23

We're getting to the sharp end of this countdown now. Today's song doesn't seem to have an acknowledged author, rather it is a traditional folk song, recorded by many artists going back nearly a century. Those who've had a stab at it include Woody Guthrie and, rather exotically, Johnny Hallyday. However its definitve rendition has to by The Animals in 1964. Unrecorded is the version my mate Big Willy Mac (yes him again) launches into in the small hours of the morning in Irish bars. At those joyous moments my judgement is clouded by alcohol and I will swear that nobody does it better. Much as I love my mate, sober consideration comes down in favour of The Animals. The House of the Rising Sun. Brilliant.  

No comments:

Post a Comment