Search This Blog

Friday 26 March 2021

Titus Andronicus

Not bloody Titus Andronicus again, I hear from the chorus. I have to admit that I stand guilty of proselytizing for this glorious mishmash of dodgy history, bitter violence and madcap comedy. It is Shakespeare's first tragedy and is still recovering from centuries of squeamish neglect. 

Trust me, give it a go. Try Julie Taymor's high-energy film version, Titus, a take on the play that manages its own anachronisms with aplomb. If you want a less adventurous (but still commendable) adaptation, the BBC production starring the recently deceased Trevor Peacock (best known as Jim in Vicar of Dibley) fits the bill. I'm not entirely unconvinced that this play isn't the best introduction to Shakespeaerean tragedy - no come to think of it that would be the far better engineered Macbeth. But you see what I'm getting at.

If you do get to see both of these versions, note the differing dramatic treatments at their respective conclusions of Aaron's baby. This is a key to how one views the carnage that has preceded.  

Next up in the OG sprint through Shakespeare will be Richard III.     

No comments:

Post a Comment