Search This Blog

Tuesday 6 April 2021

Playing Golf In The Snow

Alright it was only a small flurry of snow, but yes I was out there yesterday morning with BH, MS and CC treading the fairways of Boldmere Golf Club. It was perishing but I am pleased to report that the mildly encouraging start to my season continued. There were odd aberrations but in the main I struck the ball quite well. Putting was errant but we can retrieve that (famous last words?). I hadn't been to Boldmere for an age (I suspect as much as thirty-five years) and it is better than I had remembered. Yes it is triflingly short and there are some tiny par threes crammed in to fill up the quota, but on the credit side, there are some seriously challenging long par threes. In an earlier age I would have spent Easter Monday doing some serious drinking with these same good men - rugby tours are largely a thing of the past but, boy, we had some fun at Easter back in the day.

My favourite film critic is Roger Ebert but we watched a film last night where I think he got it mildly wrong. The Siege was made in 1998, therefore pre-9/11. What may have seemed hysterical, mischievous even, nonsense back then can now seem bluntly prescient. It rather shouts its message but it does so succinctly and wrapped in enough action to keep you interested. It stars the reliably excellent Denzel Washington, a factor that works for the Groupie. 62/100.               

No comments:

Post a Comment