Search This Blog

Monday 12 April 2021

Watching The Golf

Sports coverage on Sky has, on balance, been a boon. The technical horizons have expanded. Unfortunately the quality of some commentary has gone backwards. I'm thinking particularly of golf and viewing the Masters this past weekend reinforced my view. Am I just getting old and grumpy - it was better in my day etc? 

First up I'll tell you who I exempt from criticism: Ewan Murray - he sets the standard; Richard Boxall - why was he not on duty for the Masters?; Andrew Coltart - not brilliant but at least unobtrusive; Paul McGinley - an astute analyst. But I'll tell you who gets on my nerves: Nick Dougherty - a simpering clown; Wayne Riley - is a bit of a 'character', unfortunately someone has told him this and he feels compelled to force his humour; worst of all (by a country mile) is Butch Harmon - clearly a highly successful instructor but his style of commentary lacks any humility.

It was all getting me down on Saturday evening so I switched over to the football and waited for the BBC highlights of the golf. And here was a surprise - there is life after the sublime Peter Alliss (now sadly deceased but who should have been pensioned off a few years ago - he had become the embarrassing old uncle of television). The commentary was subdued, sane and unobtrusive. Mark James and Ken Brown are both ex-players but also natural broadcasters. 

One last thing from the angry old man - when did pine needles officially become 'pine straw'? This is an Americanism we surely can do without.  

No comments:

Post a Comment