Search This Blog

Monday 30 July 2012

Olympic Debut

I can do that, giz a job
It's official. Not only do I have the tee shirt, but I am now an active Olympic volunteer. I spent today directing crowds from West Silvertown DLR station to Excel. So good was I at this that I was entrusted with the cherished foam finger, direction for the pointing of. But there is more dear reader. So very, very good was I at the art (and it is an art) of pointing that when our supervisor took his break it was to the Boy Roberts that the radio was entrusted. Sadly I had no cause to radio in an incident so my call signal ('Silver 1') went unused. However the Games are young yet. My modesty was such that I even turned down the offer to use that other toy of crowd control, the megaphone. I can after all only handle so much excitement in one day at my dangerous age.

Early reflections - it's not perfect but then nothing is and you only get one go at running the Olympics. We'll get better. What is really impressive is the general good cheer of the volunteers and the equal cheeriness of most spectators and of the much put-upon Londoners. I'm knackered (just to make sure I really sleep well I have been swimming again) and I've got another early start tomorrow. Perhaps it will be the day of the megaphone.

No comments:

Post a Comment