Search This Blog

Sunday 15 July 2012

Journey Of The Working Class Heroes

I don't know about you but it seems to me that most people who see themselves as working class heroes are nothing of the sort - they tend to be middle class wannebees. Circumstance used to force me to associate with one such. Utter cock. The only redemption was that I felt ashamed by the association even if it took me the devil's own time to act upon my shame.

Which wasn't what I was going to blog about but it came out and on balance I think I should leave it there.

No, what I was aiming at was a glib joke about Mr and Mrs Roberts' invitation to attend a private view at the Royal Academy last week. It is a weak joke because although I am patently not a WCH Mrs R most definitely is, not that she makes anything of it, far too classy for that.

So, Royal Academy - nice gaff. Summer Exhibition - nice idea, though I am a little late on the scene in passing this judgement since the annual event has been going since 1768. But I know you don't tune in to Radio Free Overgraduate for tired facts, oh no what you want are the fearless opinions, so here goes. Exhibit 1272 in Gallery VIII, Feather Child I, by Lucy Glendinning is seriously disturbing, which I assume is the objective. Arresting but I wouldn't want it in my house. Exhibit 745, The Long View Reflected, Chris Orr - we both liked this. Best in exhibition and winner of the utterly valueless and unregarded Overgraduate Prize is 593 in Gallery II, Safety Last, by Catherine Yass. If I had a suitably deep wall I would buy this series of eight etchings. I don't.

These shades are nearly as cool as mine
Been out on the bike three times in the last week following another sodding leg strain brought on by running (I know I said I'd stop doing it but you know how these things work) - cycling is brilliant, an opinion given even greater weight by the ever stunning Tour de France, presently in progress and probably to be won by a Briton. If this transpires, hold all polls, ignore the Olympics, this is the sportsman of the year. Already a triple Olympic champion and about to conquer his sport's awesome peak. Bradley Wiggins, Big Fat Pig aka The Overgraduate salutes you.   

No comments:

Post a Comment