Search This Blog

Friday 24 July 2015

The Advent Of The 1/3 Pounder

I forgot to write about it whilst in America but I was struck by the cultural symbolism of the radio advertisements for Macdonald's new third pounder. It may be apocryphal but internet legend has it that attempts to launch a previous such burger in the 80's failed due to American mathematical ignorance - focus groups established that a majority of punters thought a quarter pound was more than a third.

Two for my mate BFP please
The jet lag seems finally to have been defeated so today has been one of office hours even though I don't have an office to go to. I have filled the unforgiving minutes by: reading (how did I ever go off this?); getting my hair cut (usual number two buzz-cut); thrashing inexpertly at some golf balls (an invitation to play at Woburn on Monday has been procured from Mikey B and I haven't played a stroke since signal failure in Ireland); jump-starting the precious Jag (flat battery due to underuse), driving it around for a bit (nice) and peeling spuds for this evening's chips. Now waiting for the Groupie to return from work at which point the allegedly healthy fryer goes on. Actually now that the West Coast tour is over I suppose she ceases to be the Groupie, and since she is my keeper maybe I should shed my other aliases and go under 'Kept Man'. Does that make her the 'Sugar Mummy'?

Further evidence that I must be going soft in my dotage - I found myself mildly well-disposed to Noel Gallagher in his Desert Island Discs appearance this morning.

I had taken a hatful of dvd's with me to America but in the event only watched some Phoenix Nights and a solitary film - a Bette Davis melodrama The Letter. Rather good. Based on a Somerset Maugham story it is a clever little morality tale about the veneer of western decency contrasted to outwardly shabby oriental morality. Davis again confirms her willingness to play unattractive characters and, more than that, to excel at it. 7/10.

The Sugar Mummy has returned and the chips are nearly done. I'm going to have a dipping sauce of strawberry balsamic vinegar as bought at Pike Place Market in Seattle.

PS. Did I say strawberry balsamic? Who ever heard of such a thing. I meant raspberry balsamic.

No comments:

Post a Comment