Search This Blog

Tuesday 18 December 2018

Advent 18

Gljufurarjokull - quite a mouthful. It is a snub-nosed glacier in the the Northern wilderness of Iceland. Until 1977 it had never been accurately mapped. That hole in the panoply of human knowledge was filled by the efforts of a six week scientific expedition mounted by the British Schools Exploring Society under the auspices of the Royal Geographical Society. Selection to the body of the expedition was achieved after an interview at the Society's intimidating premises in Kensington. A very young OG survived the interview process and so spent the entire school vacation under canvass in taxing conditions. My copy of the map that was the principal output of the expedition still hangs on our landing wall - that's how I can be sure I have the correct spelling.

By the miracle that is the internet I found this satelllite picture that locates my glacier





You learn a lot about yourself on a trip like that. I wouldn't say I came back as a man but as somewhat less of an immature jerk - and those of you who have only known me in my later life will confirm that I must therefore have had a really big problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment