Search This Blog

Monday 24 December 2018

Advent 24

I could nominate the house in which I grew up and where my parents still live. I could nominate this house I sit in, or indeed the previous two houses where I have been privileged to abide with the Groupie, DN1 and DN2. But, no, door 24 belongs to the place that did most to make me man enough (I hope) to deserve those benevolent homes.


My taste for the Victorian Gothic (Guillermo Del Toro anyone?) probably comes from the architecture of the old building at my school, King Edward VI Aston. Take a look at that picture, imagine yourself joining the throng of boys, take a right turn in the lobby and at the end of the corridor you will be in Room 1, form room for 1F, where first I sat on 7 September 1971. Also sitting in alphabetical proximity to me were JRS and ICW, both of whom I have supped with in the last week.

Our magnificently barmy School song enjoins us to sing both our living heroes and our great departed. Amen to that.

Happy Christmas and may your god go with you.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment