Search This Blog

Wednesday 27 May 2020

One Last Bit Of Quotable Stuff

Now you know well enough that this a misleading title, because there will always be stuff that I feel I have to share with you, for my own good, even if not for yours. But I shall relent for a few days in case I am risking overload - only after first sharing with you another bit of C.H. Sisson (I know, I know, my admiration for this Bagehotphobe is perhaps bad for my academic soul) culled from The Case of Walter Bagehot:

Economics used to be called Political Econmy, and has lost the adjective in the search for scientific status. But political it remains, like the behavioural sciences at large, which are sciences only in a large, old fashioned sense, whatever may be the claims of their academic exponenents, scrambling for the most profitable description in order to get a full share of the money flowing into universities.

Now that was written in 1972 but if I'd said that now I'd be pretty chuffed with myself. Provocative yes, but illuminated by more than a glimmer of truth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment