Search This Blog

Wednesday 5 August 2020

A Move Away From Emotionless Aplomb

I remember reading some Martin Amis when at university (second time around) and thinking myself moderately smart when I described him as easier to admire than to like. His early stock in trade was, putting it mildly, the world weary.

When his tenth novel Night Train was published in 1997 (I have only just read this one) the Guardian reviewer mentioned Amis's history of 'emotionless aplomb' (wish I'd said that) but only to distinguish Night Train from its cynically arid predecessors. Because this one is not without feeeling. Nor is it without faults but it reads easily enough and leaves you with an oddly gratifying sensation of sadness. Clever. It also succinctly (the best way) shows an understanding of my own illness;
There goes out clear blue sky. Because lithium is used in the treatment of what I have heard described as the Mike Tyson of mental disorders: Manic depression.
That capital letter after the colon is not a transcription error - it reflects a typographical affectation that punctuates the novel. It's probably me being silly but I have to admit that vexed me.  We are nothing without our prejudices I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment