Search This Blog

Sunday 23 August 2020

Pig On A Bike. No Crashes. Another Two Films

It's been another mildly troubled week for the Pig. Out running on Monday when the right calf twinged again. He finished his half hour and then strapped on the ice packs. He hasn't been running since but managed a seesion on the cross-trainer and then this morning lasted the full two and a half hours on the precious bike, including four substantial (Pig standard) climbs. His porcine legs are very stiff.

Those films. DN2 and I viewed The Imitation Game on Friday. It's goes without saying that Benedict Cumberbatch is excellent as the tragic genius Alan Turing but it perhaps comes as more of a surprise to add that Keira Knightley is also very good. The cracking of the Enigma codes has become the stuff of legend but Turing himself remains, well, something of an enigma. This film relates a very British tragedy unfussily. A solid 2:1 - I'm thinking of films in degree terms I've decided. 69/100. 

Very different but another solid 2:1 is Bridesmaids. It contains some of the features of the gross-out comedy but has a tender heart and is well played by its ensemble cast. Makes you laugh out loud and also makes you smile without getting too lachrymose. 68/100.

I've just been thinking about that 2:1 analogy and it occurs to me that I have, by this new standard, probably been over-marking certain films in the past. Well what can I say  - I'm not a bloody machine, though perhaps I am an enigma. Is that a good thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment