Search This Blog

Saturday 12 March 2022

Alexei Sayle's Imaginary Sandwich Bar

I've been for a walk. I avoided the rain and the beach is lovely at this time of year - winter has finished washing it clean and the littering crowds have not yet returned. This will set me up for an afternoon of watching rugby and drinking Barolo - two of my favourite things.

After my walk I read a golf magazine for a few minutes and drank coffee made in the stove top espresso maker that I have only this morning realised is in the top cupboard. Lovely coffee. Then I did another of my favourite things. I had a shave. Most particularlyI like having a shave here on the island. I don't know what it is (maybe the lovely Welsh water) but a shave here is deeply satisfactory.

And I'll tell you what else I did. Whilst shaving I listened (on BBC Sounds) to a re-run of Alexei Sayle's Imaginary Sandwich Bar. Now you might have sussed it by now but Big Fat Pig (that's me not Alexei) is not really a creature of the political left. Alexei Sayle most definitely is. Nonetheless I love him. He is genuinely very funny and I admire his convictions. But let's stress the important bit - he's funny. The braying uncomedic participants on The News Quiz should listen and learn. 

Finally last night's rugby. Wales can count themselves unlucky not to have defied the odds and beaten France at the disgracefully part-empty Principality Stadium. France started like a train but for the second two thirds of the match were the lesser side. Matt Carley (a referee I like) had a difficult night and, for whatever reason, never got to grips with the scrummage. Still, be thankful for small mercies - Jaco Peyper was running the touch. Two words that convey excellence - Taulupe Faletau. What a player.

No comments:

Post a Comment