Search This Blog

Thursday 24 March 2022

I May Just Have Been A Very Small Bit Wrong ... Perhaps

You have to admire (well almost) our shameless politicians and their inability to admit any error. I, you will be relieved to hear, am not cut from that cloth. No, the Pig is wrong quite a lot and, if forced/shamed to do so, will admit as much.

And no, I am not about to ask forgiveness for my failure as a tipster on the second day at Cheltenham. Put it this way, you have been very lucky that I didn't belabour you with my selections for the final two days of the Festival. Thanks to that semi-stellar first day, I finished well up on the whole thing but we were playing for small stakes so my lifestyle (already rather cavalier) hasn't changed.

The Pig in academic mode

As I said above, that was not the subject of my confession. The true subject is Cymbeline. I have been reading, watching and thinking about this play a lot for the past few weeks and I must recant of my view (expressed here and elsewhere I am ashamed to say) that is not a very good play. You already knew this but the Bard of Avon deserves a better critic than the Pig. It may be the least satisfactory of the five Roman Plays on stage but it rewards careful attention. Here's the shocker - it's a good play. Now all I've got to do is to redraft the chapter in my thesis and put the record straight.

Don't you just hate it when I'm wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment