Search This Blog

Wednesday 30 March 2022

It Catches All Of Us Eventually

That at least is how I feel at present. On the very morning (yesterday) that I was looking forward to a knock at the Belfry, I felt a tad ropey so dutifully took a Covid test and, Sod's Law at work, I joined the infected millions. I have felt more than just slightly ill today and I'm unwarrantedly knackered but, all in all, I think I'm relieved to have had some symptoms - it would feel wrong to be asymptomatic. So here I am, feeling that masculine self-pity (the Groupie is powering through the virus) and writing for your delectation. You have been tuning-in to the blog in greater numbers recently. Not anything earth-shattering but thank you anyway.

Sean Connery has more presence than any other actor I can think of (and I have considered Brando and Bryner) and he brings this to bear in The Hunt for Red October. He plays a Russian submarine commander with a distinguished Scots brogue but none of this matters - the camera devours him. The movie is based on Tom Clancy's Cold War pot-boiler and does it s job very nicely. I have to confess that, despite my dubious status as a student of literature, Clancy is one of my guilty pleasures. The man can do plot. As for the film, 69/100.  

No comments:

Post a Comment