Search This Blog

Monday 25 May 2015

Man And Seascape

They're amongst my favourite things, the points where man and nature merge. Thus I like the bulky brutalism of the Wylfa nuclear power station against the North Anglesey coast. I will have to get used to calling it  Wylfa Newydd as the old magnox reactor is being superseded.

Yesterday we walked at a more subtle point of intervention, Penrhos Coastal Park - OS Landranger sheet 114, grid 275805. Car park borders shore before giving way to a tarmac path past the memorial to a local boy (he was hardly a man) who fell at Bluff Cove in The Falklands. The tarmac soon defers to rougher gravel paths laid through the woodland, which surrenders to the coastal path. And you stand on an unblemished beach with the cooling tower of Anglesey Aluminium behind you (the Park was endowed by that company) and peer across the bay to the great sea wall at Holyhead and witness a car ferry commencing its progress across the Irish Sea. All is unspoilt. It may change but my point, I think, is that change is not automatically bad. There is outline planning permission for the construction of a holiday park at the site. My instinct is that I like it as it is. My instinct is not infallible.


No comments:

Post a Comment