Search This Blog

Thursday 20 August 2015

52 Days - Legs Like Concrete

Isotonic
Still in Anglesey where I got a bit of that business plan written yesterday so feeling fairly righteous. On which subject (righteousness) I hauled myself out for another run this morning. It is fairly hilly around here and yesterday's effort had left my legs very heavy, such that today was a trial from the outset. I turned left out of the drive and left again to climb up to the main road and was hit by a strong headwind. I contemplated giving up altogether but settled for turning round and starting on a downward path. Of course you have to trudge up at a later stage but the decision at least kept me going. It was one of those efforts where you never feel good. I can judge my state of mind by how often I look at my watch in search of reassurance that I have been at it for an acceptable stretch. Today I lasted eight minutes before the first depressing look. Bad. On I plodded and was rather chuffed with myself to manage an hour's honest but slow toil. Utterly knackered and thighs like lumps of concrete but I am about to reward myself with a lunchtime beer. Diet of champions.

I think I may be repeating myself in reviewing the film I watched last night but it was a nice treat to see it again and as somebody sort of said (Shaw? Wilde? It's usually one of them) I like quoting myself, I find it adds weight to my argument. Len Deighton is a writer I admire and The Ipcress File was the first of his novels to be filmed. It was a sort of down at heel response to the Bond films and its idiosyncratic style has been thought off-putting by some, but it has the considerable heft of Michael Caine to carry it and I give it 7/10. Sunday papers used to give DVD's as free gifts and my copy of The Ipcress File came via that route. The disc is a double feature, the other part being Brief Encounter - I think you have to say that represents bloody good value for the money we didn't pay for it.  

Next? A cheese sandwich and an afternoon of business planning. Possibly another beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment