Search This Blog

Thursday 30 December 2021

2021:1

It's been a funny old year. Again. You might have noticed that I can be mistaken for a creature of certainties - this is deceiving, I am rather a creature noisy only in my uncertainties. I am a catholic convert who is also a Unionist and sympathetic to the ministry of women. These are hardly the signatures of the adamantine. And 2021 has been a year that has seen my core prejudices shift under the pressure of events. I didn't want this to happen, Damn you 2021. Or should that be thank you?

I thought it might be interesting (for me really - this is my selfish space after all, that anyone else ever reads it is a constant source of joy and wonder)  to look back on the twelve months of this challenging year and to pick apart one event per month. This approach does not pretend science but might just cast some light on the shifting sands of my psyche.


On January 6 2001, an outgoing President of the United States repeated the lie that an election had been stolen from him. He did so knowing full well his own mendacity and desiring nothing more worthy than  to shore up his monstrous self-esteem. The results of his speech probably surprised him as much as they delighted the scumbag. An insurrection followed and people died in the human mess that Trump stirred up. The United States of America had surrendered its right to be the beacon of the free West. That great and sadly diminished country has replaced the megalomaniac Donald with a decent geriatric who cannot control his own idiotic left wing. As the Washington Post trumpets - democracy dies in darkness. 

As I write this the sclerotic state of American politics persists. The party of (as we are tiresomely reminded) Abraham Lincoln remains in thrall to a bouffoned kleptocrat and lacks the morality to call him what he is. Meanwhile the party of JFK spews the idiot identity politics that pass for intellectualism in diminished circles. Meanwhile we are invited to take comfort in the knowledge that if anything happens to the dotard Biden, Kamala Harris will take over. This does not help.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment