Search This Blog

Thursday 9 December 2021

Advent 9

A few days ago I said that County Sligo sometimes gets my vote as the best course I have played. Today we have what is the other main contender for that accolade - Southerness, a daunting links overlooking (indeed almost touching) the Solway Firth. Yes, on balance, Southerness is the best I have played - for today at least.


The 12th is a 421 yard par 4 that doglegs its way down to the sea. A pond protects the left of the green, bunkers the right. The Firth boils in the background and there is out of bounds at the back of the green. The photograph shows the hole on a quiet day. When I played it with my dear late lamented mate Rod Meere and my stalwart golfing companion Big Willy, it was blowing a gale. Rod (who had a good few years on the two of us) sensibly repaired to the bar after eighteen but Willy and I were so entranced by the place that we went out again in the storm. We managed sixteen holes before taking our bedraggled selves back to clubhouse. An isolated and magical place. 

Tomorrow we move inland to another championship test.

No comments:

Post a Comment