Search This Blog

Friday 10 December 2021

Advent 10

We're a long way from the seaside today, in amongst the towering trees of Woburn, home club of my friend MB. Lucky boy - well, not lucky actually - you make your own luck in this life.

Woburn has three excellent courses, all of them rather beautiful and always presented in perfect condition. I should think so too at those subscription levels.


Today's choice is a hole I have actually blogged about before - the 9th on the Marquess, the newest of the three layouts. The first time I played this full-blooded (441 yards) par 4 I hit one of those rare approach shots that stay with you - a feeling of easy, controlled power. It was a 3 rescue and I did the decent thing and holed the putt for birdie. Some days it all comes together, albeit briefly. 

The hole dares you to take on the depression in front of the green and if you err too far to the left off the tee you are blocked out by an intruding tree - an oak I think but don't quote me on that. If you really want to know, that 3 rescue of mine had to be cut around the tree after a dodgy drive. Would I remember it so well had I not holed the putt? Doubtful, but this is my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment