Search This Blog

Saturday 18 December 2021

Advent 18

I only played Mulranny in County Mayo because there was a competition on at Westport that prevented me getting on there. Initial impressions were not favourable. There were only nine holes; there was no clubhouse, just a derelict caravan and an honesty box; I appeared to be playing behind a nine-ball of children sharing three sets of clubs; there were sheep all over the course. I need not have feared: built (though that is the wrong word - courses like this happen rather than being built) on a matchless piece of coastal land, nine holes were plenty - I went round three times; the nine-ballers scampered about and played at a pace that would put your average television-influenced adult four-ball to shame; rudimentary fences kept the sheep off the greens.


To be honest I could nominate any hole at Mulranny - the only requirement is to be at the place. I believe they have a clubhouse these days - that might almost spoil it for me. Anyway, I pick the 6th/15th (177/193 yards) because it is blissfully close to that fabulous beach.

Just in case anyone is paying attention to these things, I am late posting today because I had an enjoyable jaunt to Telford to play very muddy golf with WJR. My form was abject, his marginally less so. He beat me two up. At least I took it to the 18th.  

No comments:

Post a Comment