Search This Blog

Tuesday 7 December 2021

Advent 7

Rather grandly I trumpeted today's entry as the best finishing hole in golf. That was a bit over the top but please bear in mind that I have to have played the hole in question, which rather puts paid to Carnoustie (though if anyone out there wants to invite me to Carnoustie, I'm in). The rules (self-imposed but it is my blog after all) also dictate that no club can have more than one entry and that stricture eliminates certain courses that have impressive culminations. Finally (and if I didn't say this, well, you should have guessed) I have to have enjoyed the hole in question.


All of which self-justification is a long-winded way of explaining why the famous 18th on the Brabazon at the Belfry doesn't get into this very personal list. I have played it and its final hole is justly well-known but, here's the truth, I don't much like the course - too big, too corporate, too impersonal. Which leaves me with the 18th at The Anglesey - a true links that can be played for less than thirty quid and which has fun written all over it. As for the 18th (par 4, 375 yards), well water on the right, OB on the left, and then that bloody water again, sneaking its way across the approach to the green. Oh, and I should have said - the course has a railway line running through it - don't know why but that's a clincher for me.

It's par 5 time again tomorrow.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment